Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Learning to unicycle -2-

I taught myself to unicycle and the best advice I can give is the following.
"You're not trying to stay on it. You're trying to keep it under you."
If you fall off forwards, you didn't pedal enough. If you fall off backwards, you pedalled too fast. Don't worry about sideways, start beside a wall on a hard, smooth surface. Grass is tough to cycle on. When you fall off, don't try to stay on too long, 'cos that's the only way you'll get hurt. When you fall off, think!
"Did I fall off because the wheel shot out in front?" Control it's speed.
"Did I fall off because the wheel stopped?" Top-dead-centre is a position in which you have now power to control the wheel.
Start beside a wall with the pedals level, left foot forward. Now let yourself fall forwards, keeping the wheel steady. After falling a little way (which will be further than you think) put the wheel smoothly and fairly quickly through a half turn. Your residual forward fall velocity should now be just enough to bring you back to upright. Now do it again, starting with the other foot.
That's how I learned, and how I teach. Seems to work, so give it a go.

No comments: